Friday, October 4, 2013

How I Got Started

I’ve been in Human Resources for about 15 years now, and ever since I started down this career path, I have been surprised at the negative reaction from people about HR. I love it, it is perfect for me. I think everyone should love it! But they don’t and I have slowly learned why. Some of us do a bad job, and it gives us all a bad reputation. So read my blog, marvel at some of the ridiculous stories, and try to learn to love it.

I don’t imagine that when you ask a child what he or she wants to be when they grow up, that they ever say “I want to be a Human Resources Manager!” Yeah I didn’t either. I had no idea what I wanted to be. I had some admin type jobs and did fine at them, but it was obviously not going to be a career. So one day I was placed as a temp employee as an admin assistant in an HR Department. My path was clear from there. It was a big enough company that HR was spread out in to different specialties and lots of people so I got a good example of the different aspects of the department. Between that and a great boss that became a true mentor, I finally knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. What a good feeling!


Throughout the years I have had co-workers both good and bad. But even if I didn’t think they were that good at their jobs, I still took away good lessons from each of them. And the combination of all of their influences have made me, professionally, who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment